It started at about 4:00 AM. I got up out of bed to get ready to make the 35 minute drive back to Orem, as I was scheduled to work from 6 to 11. I wrapped up some challah bread that I had baked the night before to take to a missionary farewell I was set to go to after work.
Challot! Wrapped and ready for gift-giving :)
I went back to my apartment in Provo and changed to go to work. It was my first time ever working on a Sunday. Work went pretty much as usual (some shelf-stocking and training), but the day just wasn't the same. When I walked out of the store at just after 11:30, things felt different. It was as if the usual holy and set-apart feeling typical of all the other Sabbaths of my life had been compromised in some way. I'm grateful that I don't have to do it often.
After work, it was back to the apartment. I looked up the directions to the chapel where my good friend Andrew (whom I have known for a while as "Moshe") was giving his farewell talk. I got into some Sunday clothes, packed up my things, and set out for Springville.
I was pleased to have found this picture of Andrew in my stuff! Here, he sort of resembles what he looked like today - a sharp, young missionary with a light in his eyes.
Such a tease ;)
This is more how I remember him, however. (He's the second dude from the left.) Willing to offer a smile anytime, even when it's a little too cold for comfort :)
I have known Andrew personally for almost a year now. He was a semester behind me when I was starting out in Modern Hebrew, and he caught up with me after he took 102 in the spring (which I took off), putting us on par with each other by the time that next Fall semester came around. So we took second-year Modern Hebrew together.
So, I'll admit... I've not been to many missionary farewells. But this one was fantastic. Andrew took the podium after the youth speaker. I loved it! I was so engrossed in his message. It was wonderful for me to be able to hear of his experiences leading to his decision to go on a mission. To feel his testimony radiate through the Spirit touching him as he communicated to us was greatly rewarding for me.
There was a lovely luncheon at his mother's home right after Sacrament meeting. I got to spend time with friends, make new ones (including their cute little dog :), and hang out with "Moshe" one more time before he takes off for the MTC on Wednesday.
I am grateful to have such an awesome friend in Andrew and to have other good friends and examples like him. He helped me to recall the testimony that I have that God is aware of us individually. He loves His children, and He does not forsake us in our trials. Jesus Christ made the gift of the Gospel readily available to us and, through the Holy Spirit, can change us if we will let Him.
Eventually, it came about time to say goodbye. After a couple last kind gestures, I left the bittersweet scene and headed back towards home in South Jordan. I am spending some time here with my own family for the long weekend, and adding onto my list of this weekend's adventures, which has included shopping for cute clothes with Mom, Wendy's parfaits, drawing on the sidewalk with Emma and some of the neighbor kids,
(the "nyan cat"
and a segoe lily for Pioneer Day comprised my contributions :)
making some serious progress in the book-writing department, and watching the Pioneer Day program with Dad. :)
In spite of the less-than-perfect start, it panned out to be a good Sunday. Feeling the spirit behind my friend's testimony helped buoy up my own and helped restore some of that special spirit behind the Sabbath day that had been compromised a bit earlier in the day. I am enjoying the time with my family and look forward to a great day off tomorrow (today?). :)
Well, that's about it for now, folks. Thanks for droppin' in ;)
Rachel




1 comment:
I love this dropping in thing so I can hear what you are thinking...you are an old soul you know...love you and loved our time together.
Post a Comment