Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Goodness

... and I thought nothing happened in my life. ;)

Now I'm gonna try to summarize the month of November thus far in a nutshell, hoping I can remember all the highlights (in no particular order):
  • Watched classmates and teachers compete in DanceSport (I would've competed this semester but I didn't have a partner)
  • Taught the Hebrew Bible reading group again :)
  • Went to Five Guys twice in one weekend with Emily, one time followed by stop at a hip frozen yogurt shop (now I need to go buy some pumpkin ice cream @_@)
  • Did Medals examinations for ballroom. I got an 89.5 (90 in Fox Trot and 89 in Cha-cha) which earned me a "Highly Commended" rank overall. If I had scored up a half point, I could've ranked "Honors", but these scores were better than the ones I got from Medals Exams last year, and I think they're a good reflection of how I actually did. It was nice to hear the TA who was testing me say during one of the dances "I'm sure glad you can follow..." though :)
  • Acting as moral support and sports photographer at my FHE family's volleyball game right after I got done with Medals
  • Having a bread party after the fireside by M. Russel Ballard
  • Rescuing my roommate with Dora after her borrowed car died. Took another roommate making the calls and an FHE brother with jumps for the ride. Epic way to start the evening ;)
  • Going to Del Taco Tuesday with roommates!
  • Singing for Emily's great-grandmother again. She is so intelligent and complimentary ("You change between parts as comfortably as if you wrote it"... something to that effect :)
  • Emily making dinner and giving me some to pay me back for taking her to her great-grandmother's house (mmm)
  • Writing programs that mostly work :D
  • Pwning tests: A- on my syntax midterm, A- (I think) on my first historical linguistics test, an A on my second D&C test, and As on my Hebrew quizzes
  • Making almond pareve cake for the Hebrew Club Shabbat dinner
  • Trying to recover my Wilton cake pan (unsuccessfully thus far). Lent it out to some boys (whom one of my roommates thinks are from our ward) and never got it back. I should've followed up sooner (I waited about a month). I have one more place to look, but after that, erm...
  • Getting complimented for my nails by both a roommate and a clerk at the Creamery (not on the same day)... The girl at the Creamery asked first if my nails were real :)
  • Spontaneously going to Little Caesars with a handful of roommates at like eight o'clock at night
  • Sitting and talking in Dora in front of Campus Plaza with Emily
  • Formatting and editing a semi-original (plot/novel/whatever-you-want-it-to-be) co-written by Stacey and I
  • Calling Mom on her birthday :)
  • Slowly acquiring enough red food coloring to make a red velvet cake
  • Having the room to myself whenever my room roommate leaves town
  • Seeing off Dannielle for her mission (and getting lost in Orem on the way there)
  • Being on track to leave Provo for home on Tuesday!!
Now for some play-by-play. Last night was fun. ;)

So my almond cake and I went over to the Wilk for the Shabbat dinner. On my way over, Emily texts me. She tells me that she wants to party. I tell her what's up, and I agree to text her back at 7:30.

The dinner comes and goes, and I text Emily back. She tells me to give her 20 minutes, and then I come over so we can go get food. Her friend Lisa tags along and we leave their apartment complex. We drive around pretty aimlessly for a while, not really having a concrete destination until we settle on Five Guys (but this roaming took up a good 15 minutes or so ;).

Emily gets a burger and fries and Lisa and I share a thing of fries (they give you so many!). We discuss boy stuff and dating stuff, then decide to go back to Campus Plaza. Emily's dad is/was in town, so he came by and Emily said goodnight to him. Before that, one of Emily and Lisa's friends came over and started goofing off with us ("us" as in Lisa at first, then Emily when she came back from seeing her dad off). We had us some good one-liners ("Let's stay up until it snows!") and some good times.

Emily and I wanted something else to do, so we decided to drive up to the Y trailhead and look at the stars. Partway there, Emily realized that it was cloudy outside, but this didn't stop us. The four of us (Me, Emily, Lisa, and their friend Johnny) went to the trailhead and looked down at Provo from above.

We started to wander towards the trail up to the Y, but Emily and I decided not to start up the trail and we headed back for Dora. The other two went up a little ways while Emily and I waited in the warm(ish) truck. It wasn't long before Lisa and Johnny came back and we set off for CP again.

We started our way down the steep hill through the neighborhoods and Emily spotted a property with a bunch of Christmas lights already put up. We decided to drive by and have a look. Emily had fun with the radio and the Christmas music, turning it down when we got further from the lights and turning it up when we got closer for the last time (wahaha).

We went back to CP and I said goodbye to my friends. I headed home and only stayed up about another hour or so before calling it a night.

I'm so glad I got to meet Emily almost a year and a half ago! She has helped make my college experience way better, and I am hoping for more good times like these. :)


Now, all that's left that stands between me and my Thanksgiving break is finishing a file reading/writing program, taking a language reconstruction test, a bit of research on the Druzim, and five class periods. After that...

... goodbye, Provo ;)


Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Rachel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Racher! The Mustang is supposed to be ready Wednesday. Should give you a chance for a "fix" while you are home. We're excited to see you.

alane said...

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HOME....RACHEL...WE LOVE YOU!!!